Update added by user Apr 03, 2013
Update to my original post:
MODLOFT is to be commended on it's stellar customer service. Turns out the retailer whom I purchased the bed from failed to recognize the connection between the submitted pics and my previously posted arguments.
In frustration, I contacted MODLOFT whom immediately got back with me. Turns out this particular bed should not have been in circulation. Modloft wasn't sure how I ended up with this iteration which is no longer in production. The new Chelsea bed is redesigned hence omitting the previous flaws - IMO.
I accept the fact that quality control issues are common place in today's furniture manufacturing ecosystem (i.e. Chinese manufacturing). I appreciate Modloft's quick response and resolution to the issues presented as they immediately agreed to replace the bed ... unlike the retailer who sold the bed whom had informed me that there was nothing they could do! A simple phone call and or forward of my initial complaint (in behalf of a valued customer) to Modloft would have quickly solved the mystery.
Again, I commend Modloft's business acumen in this regards. This is how you properly scale a business among stiff competition. Design good products at a reasonable price and back it up with customer service policies that keep customers satisfied and coming back for more products.
Original review posted by user Mar 07, 2013
Let me start by saying that I really like Modloft design and price points. I was very excited to order and receive the product, however as the previous customer stated, this particular product has or rather came with a number of issues that I feel are unacceptable for a $1600+ MSRP product.
1. Modloft Customer Service Mgr. is severely misspoken when she mentions that the photos of the bed are not misrepresenting the product. Specifically, the product literature and marketing collateral - see attached pics - show the bed positioned in an open loft like space. Note, the back of the bed appears to be one piece/constructed in a way that would enable this type of positioning in a room? In reality the bed can ONLY be positioned with headboard against the wall due to the fact that there are 6 large diameter wholes in the back of the headboard which function as the access point to tighten the bolts/nuts that hold the 2 piece headboard and rails together. The finish on the back of the bed is rather horrendous - see attached pics - with the leather stapled haphazardly around the access holes. 6 flimsy plastic discs are provided as an attempt to plug the holes. Pics speak for themselves ... with visible staples. THERE IS NO WAY THIS BED CAN BE POSITIONED ON AN ANGLE/IN ANY OPEN SPACE (as in marketing collateral) WITHOUT SHOWCASING THIS UNACCEPTABLE DESIGN FLAW.
2. Missing hardware: My king bed is missing the two center support posts and hardware. The bed can't be fully constructed without these essential parts and obviously can't support a mattress until the parts arrive.
Additionally, the slatted base/platform which ties into the base and headboard can't be attached as the bolts provided are too large in diameter for the holes. I'm hoping it is not a quality control issue ... meaning that I will need to get a drill out and widen the diameter of the holes on the metal frame?
3. Quality control issues: The headboard is actually two pieces, which are attached by bolting together - through the back of headboard as previously mentioned. The bolt holes are not properly aligned which sets one side of the headboard off a quarter of an inch. There is no remedy to fix this.
In addition, a small piece of foam was left on one side rail and the leather was stretched over the foam, leaving a "raised" bump which was very noticeable. I ended up taking out the staples holding the leather, gently pulling the piece of foam out, and re stapling - see attached pics. I don't feel a customer should have to tackle multiple tweaks on a $1600+ MSRP product.
4. Smell? Correct, this bed WREAKS of chemicals and or retardants? Not sure if it's the backing on the leather or leatherette. I'm hoping this nasty smell goes away once we are finally able to fully assemble the bed. The bed has been sitting in the room for a week and the smell is still very strong.
5. Solid build? I read other reviews which complemented the build quality/sturdiness of other Modloft beds ... which led to my purchase decision. Unfortunately, the Chelsea doesn't quite live up to the standard as the headboard is not stable. I don't believe the missing hardware/parts mentioned above will add to the stability of the headboard. I wouldn't want to grab it while engaged in "extra curricular activity" for fear of damaging or breaking the bed.
As I can't return the bed, I'm hoping I can live with the issues. I feel that the $1400+ purchase price was a bit rich due to the stated issues. Unfortunately, I can't recommend the Chelsea bed or potentially Modloft at this point in time without suggesting that one visits a brick and mortar store to view products before purchasing. Got burned by online purchase and nice marketing collateral on this one.
I will mention that the Modloft CSR I spoke with on the phone was more than happy to send replacement parts if available or order from the factory. I haven't received the parts yet, but hoping this process will be seamless and fairly prompt.
More Review Details
- Monetary loss:
- Product or service
- Chelsea Bed
- Review category
- Furniture and Decor
You May Also Like
- "On the date of 10/24/11I purchased a living room set from Ashley Furniture .The set consisted of ,A couch and love seat, 2 end tables ,one soft table.I thought..."
- " Upon purchasing the 2 for 1 product, king size, I noticed an obvious difference in the amount of filling in both pillows. I opted..."
- "The quality of RTG furnitures sucks！ And their so-called "Force Field" treatment is a total scam!!!! Purchased one Cindy Crawford Sidney Road sofa, one loveseat and one ottoman from RTG's supercenter..."
- "I ordered Stone Outdoor Fireplace which arrived with a broken base. I called Sunjoy Industries at 866-578-6569 four times. Spent more than an hour waiting for a live person...."
- "Purchased Commercial gooseneck lighting for outdoor sign lighting and for my exterior seating area and awning lighting purposes. After 15 days I finally received my order. I ordered all the..."
- "I bought my Volvo in march.Here it is June and my car leaks water inside when it rains.There is no seal around my windshield, and there is a puddle behind..."
- "I ordered something on ali express and made payment through my debit card. Amount got debited from my account. but i cancelled order before verification. although payment has been made..."
- "We paid $500 for a Larson security door including installation by a contractor! This door was presented with a video of being beaten with a bat, and a crowbar with..."
- "Definite scam. High pressure sales--consultant told me to "try the peeling gel for the first week and if you do not like it, bring it back!" When I returned the..."